Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Year of Ups and Downs

Year 2005, a year with many mixed feelings, full of happiness, excitement, sadness, disappointment, worries…

January
The first moment of the year was spent in the Buddhist Vihara in Brickfields. There was a blessings ceremony and a donation event for the tsunami victims. A few weeks later, my family also attended another blessings ceremony in Stadium Negara, along with many other Buddhist from around the country.

The start of my Form 5 school year was… not too amazing. Well, we were appointed some teachers whom we ‘fear’ greatly e.g. Ms Lee. Anyway, she turned out quite good, we did enjoy her periods often, I found her changed to a more humourous and open-minded person.

One very important thing—Ken’s album was released on the 15th. This album that I’ve been waiting for so long, was finally out. The songs, hmm… with some rock elements, but gradually I enjoyed listening and singing to the songs.


February
The Chinese New Year was the main attraction this month. The same BBQ dinner for the ‘tuan yuan fan’, and of course the angpau money!

Our class won a prize, for what I forgot. We got a hamper, so our class monitor B Yung asked everyone to bring something the next day to have a party to share out the hamper. That day was the day before our first monthly test. Haha! Crazy people, having party when we are supposed to be serious and studying.


March
On the 19th of March, I went to David Tao’s showcase in Sunway Lagoon. Of course, it was great! For this, I missed the birthday party of B Yung.

On my birthday, my buddies Wei, Jane, Theng and Juen gave me a very expensive present. It was Ken Chu’s CD! I was asking Jane to help me buy, but they bought for me instead! So thankful to them. The class sang a birthday song for me, which was actually my first one from my friends. I was so so happy…


April
Nothing much happened… I guess. Well, Pope John Paul II passed away, a sad news for the whole world.

Me over here, preparing for the Diagnostic Exam, blowing my head off.


May
It was the Diagnostic examination. Such exhausting 3 weeks of papers. This was our first exam following the format of SPM. Of course, it’s tough, real tough.

Got to know that Liverpool won the UEFA Cup. Wow, I couldn’t believe it because I thought Liverpool was quite bad in its performance this year. Way to go!

And after the exam, the Malaysian Idol craze started again. This time I didn’t want to miss out anything, though I did, but thank goodness it wasn’t the Penang Audition… haha!


June

The MI craze continued. Yeah, and I spotted Daniel Lee. Not because he was cute, but I was attracted to his voice, soothing and special.

Then, the AP issue came up. I wasn’t really interested, don’t quite understand the issue anyway. But it got huge attention from the whole country.

July
If I’m not wrong, the Scrabble Competition held by ELS was during this month. I was in Category C, for Form 5 and Form 6. I played 2 games only, and came out as winner! Heehee… it was a close call, I nearly lost.

Lee Choong Wei won the Malaysian Open. Such surprise, yet good news.


August
The most suffering month of the year – physically. The haze caused by the burning forests in Sumatra and some places in Selangor, disturbed the daily lives of amost the whole society living on the west coast. There were 2 days of replacing holidays given to many schools (including mine), and some places were announced Darurat (emergency).

After that, The Katrina hurricane hit the US. This incident revealed many other things, like the status if the black in US, …


September
Time for the trial examination. It was another month of torture again.

Meanwhile, the dengue fever blasted in many high-populated areas such as Penang and Selangor. It was a ‘fragile’ time, as there are often mosquitoes around my area. This fever has caused many deaths, it was especially serious in Penang. I heard that even some of Daniel’s family members got the fever.

Then, there was the case of a primary school teacher who fell to death in the school. He was the brother of my auntie. It was a tragic case, a lesson to the government.

There was the MI Finale, my elder sister and I along with her friend’s family went to Genting Arena of Stars to join in the excitement. It was really fun, watching Daniel’s performance live, and being able to see Victor and Andrew too.


October
A little boy, Jing Ren, caught fire and was burnt of his skin. His case was critical, but he managed to strive through it, which was a miracle. As the family couldn’t cope with the medical expenses, many donation activities were held to lighten the burden, including one by Sin Chew Jit Poh (f I’m not wrong) which Daniel joined. When Jerry Yen was in Malaysia to promote Oral-B, he paid a visit to Jing Ren and wrote him a card.

China had its rocket launched on the 22nd. Another achievement for the country.

On the 8th, a major earthquake occurred in Pakistan. The situation could be as bad as that of the tsunami in year 2004. There were many deaths, and the victims who are alive are facing a lot of problems.

Just before the exam, our class had some conflicts with some teachers, which was caused by the misbehaviour of a classmate. Then, the graduation of the Form 5 and Form 6 students was on the 21st, almost evergirl friends of mine shed tears, since it was gonna be some tough and long time till the next gathering of the class.


November
This was the month. THE month for SPM. All the way, I was really frightened and nervous. I am even shivering now when recalling that particular time. Sometimes I even dream of preparing and sitting for the exam even though I have finished it now. Just imagine how scary it was…

Daniel’s album was released on the 22nd (I think) and his first showcase on the 27th. I couldn’t attend the showcase, but managed to catch a few moments of Daniel singing through the phone.

Another national issue, regarding the Chinese women, was spread through out the country. This is another issue which revealed the negative side of the police force.


December
With the SPM over, it was time to relax. My class went to Penang for a tour, which included a day out in Payar Island. It was a great time spent with the best of friends. I will always miss those days. I managed to catch up the Starwalk Carnival Charity Concert on Dec 9, where Daniel, Victor, Vick, Jac and Eric Lim were among the performers.

One important issue was the lost of gunfire machines such as guns and bullets in Kelantan. Thankfully, the things were recovered in a short time.

Daniel held some autograph sessions in a few places, and my younger sister and I went to that held in Tower Records in Mid Valley. It was the first time I attended his showcase and let him sign the album.

On Christmas day, my sister and I was to have dinner with Daniel along with the other winners and fans. We didn’t really eat, because we were busy asking him questions and singing Karaoke with him *Since it was in myKTV.* It was the best and most memorable Christmas day I ever had.

For a close-up for the country, Nicole David won the World Squash 2005, winning herself the No.1 title and raising the country’s identity. Bravo Nicole!

The last day of the year was spent in Kedah, my hometown, with not much excitement, just watching TV, the countdown concert in KLCC which was shown live on 8TV.


Done with the more memorable incidents which happened in this year. I wish for a better and brighter year and years ahead.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


Tuesday, January 03, 2006 (3.15pm)

No comments: