Sunday, February 05, 2006

GONG XI FA CAI!!!

Chinese New Year this year is almost like any other year. Well, there were some special events, which we don’t have for the last few years. For example, I just came back from a friend’s house, where some 10+ classmates had a gathering and bai nian. It turned out…not too bad, just not as exciting as I expected. But still, I was glad to see my friends again, like sha po Kazeendra…hehee… What we did there was just watching TV, but when they finally planned to go somewhere, I was to go home. Boo…

This year the CNY holidays were longer than usual, for my sister’s school, it was as long as 10 days (1 day as “cuti ganti”). We didn’t stay in our kampong Kedah for that long though, it was always boring during this time of the year, though I really like the atmosphere of the season. 3 most exciting element for CNY is…one, beautiful new clothes to wear; second comes the ang pows we get; third is the delicious food which we can eat non-stop! Haha… now you can guess that I have gained a few kilograms…

Before this, on January 23rd, my sisters and I joined Daniel’s Fan Club for a visit to Ampang Old Folks’ Home. It was a meaningful event, which Daniel was also present to do his part – entertaining the old folks. He started by giving a speech (which was not long, coz he didn’t know what to say except for the thank yous…=D) He sang some new year songs, including Cai Shen Dao, Gong Xi Gong Xi, and He Xin Nian. With his guitar, he also dueted with the old folks on Quer Sara Sara, and Ye Lai Xiang. The latter, which an old uncle was to sing with Daniel’s guitar melody, created a lot of laughter as the uncle ‘enjoyed’ the song on his own and sang the way he wanted. Daniel really had a hard time catching up with his singing although he played very well! Later, hampers and ang pows were given out to every old folk, from the donation of DFC members. Too bad I didn’t contribute anything… hopefully I will if there’s another such event. Then Daniel had a press conference with some reporters, and finally a group photo of the DFC members and the old folks, and of course Daniel.

Overall, CNY is a very important and exciting event of the year, it’s the time of the year I most look forward to. I always love the atmosphere, especially of that in my kampong. It just feels great to be with my relatives. It is a reunion season, which I also hope to gather with my friends. I do miss the CNY in Beijing, quiet and cold. We don’t have any relatives there, but we visited some Chinese and Malaysian Chinese friends there, and once we even invited the Chinese staff in the embassy for a party in our house. The main dish for the party was DUMPLINGS (yummy!!!), which was made together with the Chinese staff in our house. Such merry moments and happiness…

Well, CNY is not over yet, hopefully more exciting events coming up!

No comments: