Monday, December 12, 2005

Penang Tour [Gurney, Payar Island, Charity Concert]

Somehow I don't think it's actually a tour at all. It's more like a hang-out in Penang. We could have more activities, but the programmes weren't planned well, we ended up wasting a lot of time. Anyway, it was still a memorable trip.

Day 1 (Dec 8)
Our group of 30 classmates took off from the Shell station near our school at around 7.50am. We stopped shortly at Rawang rest station (whatever you call it) at 8.40am (coz the driver wanted to yam-char. duhh).. All the way on the bus, we watched 'White Chicks' and listened to songs. Everybody was up when we were over the Penang Bridge. I uess almost half the people were taking photos of the bridge and the sea. Kazeendra was photo-ing herself though, she never got bored with her camera. Haha. Unluckily, we discovered that the Driver wasn't familiar with the roads in Penang.I think the driver drove almost to Bayan Lepas but the Vistana Hotel was only about 10 minutes from the bridge. Yes, we were lost.
Before we entered our rooms or apaprtments, we went out for lunch around Bukit Jambul. My friends and I went to the food court in Kompleks Bukit Jambul. The place was quiet, not many people, I wonder if the food was okay. I got the answer when I ordered the asam laksa, which was tasteless, and didn't really fill my stomach. Despite that, the price was expensive. RM 2.50 for a yucky laksa. Damn. Later we hung around the 'theme park' on thesame floor, and had a car racing game with Jane, Wei and Juen.
In the apartment, we arranged our beds and luggage. At around 7pm, the girls were ready to go to Gurney Plaza. However we had to wait for the boys who only got down at 7.30pm. We spent our time for photos then. Our dinner was at a seafood restaurant near GP. Was a late dinner at 9.00pm at RM 20. Loved the fish and 'lala' or shellfish. Our table of friends managed to finish all the food. Haha!
Later, we had bought tickets for the movie 'Perhaps Love'. The movie was scheduled at 11.45pm, and yes, we had to wait for about 2 hours. It was so boring and tiring as there weren't any seats or benches to ease myself on. People were staring at us, wondering what a group of people were doing there squatting or sitting on the floor. The movie was quite good, Thank goodness I didn't fall asleep. After our movie ended, we had to wait almost an hour for those watching Narnia. It was almost 4am by the time we reach our hotel. We only had 2 hours sleep.


Day 2 (Dec 9)
Supposed to wake up at 6am, I woke up a little later as I didn't hear the alarm. Had some bread to ease our stomaches. We had to wait again for the ferry. I had a nap during the 'voyage' to Payar Island, and felt better on arrival on the island. We were provided with googles, 'webs' (whatever) and life jackets. The girls had a hard time adjusting the things and moving around in the water, while the boys were already half way in the middle of the reefs. I was kinda scraed when I see the reefs in the rocks, and knowing that the fish might knock or 'sting' us, I was even terrified. Some of my friends give up going to see the corals, whiel some others, with the help of the boys, went on to enjoy the underwater scene. I decided to go on, trying to put aside my fear. When I saw the first fish in the water, I was so excited! I didn't dare to swim alone to the platform which was at the end of the area, so I asked B Yung to accompany me. All the way, I couldn't see well since I'm short-sighted, but managed to see different corals and sea urchines (thank goodness I didn't step on them!). I had some trouble getting on top of the platform, but I felt so happy when I stood on it. Yeah! I made it! The other girls with me were Pui Yeng and Kazeendra. We were all so excited! Only then did I realise the wound on my legs caused by scratching the rocks and hard corals. Some were bleeding, same with the others. We returned to the shore for lunch, consisting of fried rice, chicken, fish and vege. There were also watermelon, water and Coke provided. After lunch, someone shouted that there were sharks and so we ran to check it out. It was true, there were 3 or more sharks swimming around 10m from the shore. *thank god they weren't there when I was in the water, as my legs were wounded.* They were about 1 metre long. The tour guide fed them some fish, and some people went into the water to catch photos. After the sharks left, i asked the boys down there to explore the sea cucumber around the rocks. Felix ended up being sprayed with some liquid excreted by the sea cucumber. Haha. Later, despite the pain in the wounds, Kazeendra and I along with Shuwen and Woan Wei and some other boys went on our 'mission' again, to reach the platform. the other girls were still scared, but they made it there. Yahoo! It really did feel great to be there. On the way to the shore, we were motioned to get away from an area where there was a jellyfish. So we got onto the floating platforms near the shore, and it was like a 'rescue' team helping us! Haha, so fun and funny! And to end that, we were safe from the jellyfish.
When we were to leave the place, the boat ferrying us the the main platformwas out of oil. another wait again. After getting on the ferry, we faced trouble getting seats as there were people who were sleeping on rows of seats, while some put there things on seats. They don't even let out the seats though they were looking at the group of us.

Back to Penang, we were stuck in a heavy traffic jam, which delayed our arrival back to the hotel, and of course our trip to Penang International Sports Arena for the Starwalk Carnival Charity Concert. I was worried for Daniellover who was waiting for me to give me the tickets. The group of eight ended up only 4 of us going to the concert, took some cup noodles. The taxi fare was RM 15 with only a 10 minutes journey to PISA, thanks to the bus driver who didn't want to send us there. Selfish guy who wants to save up his diesel money. Anyway, we arrived shortly before 8pm, And even managed to get rid of the unoccupied tickets--we sold them. The concert started at 8.10pm. Among the 4, I was the mpst excited one since I was the only MI fan. Now they know the crazy me. Firstly there was a band called 'Steel Guitar' or something performing, which was quite okay at first but I grew tired of it coz they only sing oldies. Then the first MI finalist, Vic Teo gave his performance of a Michael Jackson hit and Jay Chou's 'Fa Ru Xue'. His vocal was really good. There was Chan Kwok Fai [Astro Talent Quest Winner] doing 2 Chinese songs and Marilyana Omar [Bintang RTM 2004 finalist] with a Malay song and a hindi song. Jaclyn Victor took over the stage, and sent the arena to the highest point with 'Superstar' and 'Gemilang'. Her voice was so strong!
In between there were some lucky draw and auction. Then there was this boria group performing, which was so boring and annoying, with seemed to be everlasting...until we got fed up and felt like killing the so-called 'tukang karang'!!! Even Wei wanted to kick him away! GERAM! Anyway, next out was Victor Lee, my fave MI finalist. He presented a Leslie Cheung's Canto song, and a Madarin song by Du De Wei. I loved his voice, it sounds so nice, not boring at all, and so soothing! And he was so 'leng-chai'! Even Wei and Ley couldn't believe our behaviour, especially mine. Heehee... Next was Saiful, with 2 Malay songs followed my Eric Lim who sang an English song and a Chinese song. The last was of course Daniel, whom half of the audience was waiting for. He presented a mixed version of 'Mimpi' and 'Fei', and the song 'You Ji' / Organic Love. As usual, a hive of bees (fans) raced to the front to catch a better glimpse of him. After the concert, I went down to the VIP area to meet the Pinkies, but felt really uncomfortable there as I do not know many of them, and they don't know me. My friends and I went to a coffee shop opposite PISA and had a quite satisfying supper. Later, we decided to walk back to the hotel since it's not too far away. But I was really scared for it's already 12am when we were walking. It was such a big risk! There were some motorists who horned at us and 'greeted' us, I was really terrified! Thinking about it, I really feel thankful and lucky that I was back at the hotel safe and sound. When we got back, the other gal gang was there and we got to know that their taxi driver were also very scary and went a strange way to get to the hotel. Thank goodness they are safe too. All these trouble, thanks to the driver who didn't want to fetch us. A******!!!



[To be continued...]

No comments: