Thursday, August 24, 2006

PROGRAM KARNIVAL PATRIOTIK 2006

24 Ogos 2006. This date might not be so much memorable, but it is definitely a special experience (or not).

The Program Karnival Patriotik 2006 was held in UCSI this year. It was a special event attended by students from both government and private higher institutes. The VIP of the event was the Parliamentary secretary of the Ministry of Higher Education (if I'm not wrong).

My 'Duty'
I was supposed to be on duty then, as of all the scholarship students. The event is scheduled to start at 2pm, but we were to arrive there at 12.30pm, which made me miss out my lunch-time! (sobsob...) We were given t-shirts, then given instructions for duty at different locations in the campus.

I was assigned to a staircase near the lobby lift. I do wonder what the purpose was, as I did not have to usher the 'foreign' students, because they seem to know where to go. We were there about 40 mintues only (thank goodness not till the end of the carnival!).

Later, we were ushered out to the staircase of the main door, and were told to stand there, and be 'flag-stands'! We had to wave the little cute flags, and were told to shout and make some noise (Okay, so the VIP likes noise?!)

Okay great, a common tradition of all VIPs of my our country...being late. That kept us standing outside under the sun for at least 40 minutes. But he's quite sporty (can consider that), as he took a flag from one student and waved with us. Haha...

The Carvinal
We were quickly ushered up to the MPH for the programme. It's a great thing that we get to watch the show (and not stand somewhere else in the campus). We are the representatives of UCSI!

Waiting is as if 'compulsory'. Until the VIPs arrive, the event started with the Parliamentary Secretary's speech. Unfortunately I was half-sleeping (or meditation...haha), so I can't tell you much about the contents. This was my first time witnessing a hi-tech (maybe) opening ceremony. The fact that I actually exclaimed! So much different from high school style (pulling a ribbon and the banner opens).

Before this, there was of course the National anthem (which I haven't sung for more than half a year) and Bacaan Doa.

Later, there was a video presentation (which I was quite touched by), followed by the choir. I find the Harmonica performance of the song [Setia] very interesting, it was my favourite show of the event. Both are from UCSI. And the students were quite sporty to sing along with the beautiful melody! One of the staff (I believe), Prof. Dr. Norfadzillah also presented a song Bahtera Merdeka, which seemed a popular song among the Malay students.

Next came the poem reciting presentation by students from UNITEN. erm... not too interested, hehe... Students from LUCT gave a choir presentation, followed by A drama cum dacing performance by Kolej Shahputra.

The UPM students presented a quite elegant show, which is a combination of dances of the three main races in the country. Somehow they are lack of chinese dancers though... only 2...hehe.

Last but not least, the Dikir Barat. A familiar performance, reminded me of the times in Beijing, once when the younsters from the embassy had to perform in a mall. Not quite my favourite, but I like the beat of it.

It was a fascinating carnival, with a glamourous ending. Everyone was up to sing [Keranamu Malaysia] and [Jalur Gemilang]. Again, it was so much different from the high school 'singing' method. Everyone (almost) was excited and happy. even the VIP wave the huge Jalur Gemilang on stage! The representatives of each IPTA/IPTS went on stage. The stage looked so charming, so exciting, so beautiful.

The feelings...
For a moment I felt, doesn't it feel great to be independent? Doesn't it feel good to be in peace? The spirits of the students in the hall made me feel that all of us there were the next generation to lead the country. We were to follow the Prime Minister's motto, "Work with me, not for me".

I believe our country can be labelled a developed country soon, if we put in our effort to upgrade ourselves and to serve the country. appreciation for the country is not to be shown in once in a year only, it should be a lasting feeling, always, all throughout the whole life. All of us play a role in the development of the country.

for now, I wish all of you, as well as my country, "Happy Independence Day!"

MERDEKA! MERDEKA! MERDEKA!


P/S: Unfortunately I don't have a camera, the photos would have been more charming! Will try to post them if I ever snatched some. =)

No comments: